Sunday, July 15, 2012

Into Africa: Version 4.0

Tomorrow evening I board a plane to London and start the journey back to African red dirt! This time I will be traveling for just 2 weeks with a friend who teaches elementary kids (K-1) in Portland.  I'm excited to see old friends and to spend time with students at St. Peter's.  They will be starting their final exams when I arrive and leaving for break on July 27th.  I'm sure they will want to spend time studying, but also relaxing and playing games with the Americans.  Maybe even learning some more science review songs.  They mastered the water cycle song last summer!

In addition to visiting students at St. Peter's, we will also be touring other parts of eastern Uganda outside of Pallisa District, and Kampala (capital city) briefly.  This includes a trip to Kumi where we will spend time with Young Life volunteer leaders.  I'm looking forward to seeing more of the beautiful rural parts of the country.

Although this is my fourth trip to east Africa, the familiar excitement and anticipation associated with a trip like this still floods my body.  Just last night I spoke with a dear friend who recently returned from a month in Pallisa, Uganda.  She reinforced the fact that with every "going" there are always new things to learn and people to share life with.  I look forward to the conversations I will have with new and old friends under jackfruit trees or over a shared meal.  And to walk through this experience with Andrea.  But most importantly, for the ways our lives and spirits will be forever changed and influenced by those we encounter.  If I were to boil down what Africa has taught me over the years it would be the importance of the simple things in life.  To turn my loneliness into solitude.  My busyness into rest.  The things we Americans value pale in comparison to the richness of life my African friends share.

We look forward to sharing our stories with you throughout this journey.

-Jenny & Andrea



   

No comments:

Post a Comment